Friday, January 24, 2014

Jazzercize...not for the faint of heart

I went to Jazzercize tonight for the very first time.  Here are my observations.

First of all, my mom went to Jazzercize, like 20 years ago.  I remember being in the childcare with my buddy Elizabeth.  Am I old enough to go to Jazzercize?  That's for moms, right?  I mean, I know I'm technically a mom, but I'm not a MOM!  I know that I am 32 years old physically, but I still consider my mental age to be that of a 16 year old, and I think I always will.  Also, I danced my entire life, there is no way this is going to be challenging enough for me.
This was my expectation of Jazzercise

Roxanne kicked my butt tonight.  Roxanne, who was at least 10 years older than me, kicked my butt.  During the first song, I got cocky.  "I knew it", I thought, "this is too easy."  "A lot of these women are older than me, and there's no way that if they can do this that it will challenge me."  Well, those ladies showed me.  By the end of the 2nd song I needed a drink and was starting to sweat.  By the end of the 3rd song I was short of breath and finding it hard to do it all full out.

I'll tell you who wasn't having a hard time...those older ladies in front of me!!  Damn!  They hardly ever even stopped for a drink, and here I am trying to make it through an entire song before I run to get a drink and steal away a 5 second break, while pretending that I don't need a break.  I'm young, I shouldn't need a break!

Then we started using weights.  I chose my weights at the beginning of the session and I chose 5lb weights.  I knew within the first 5 seconds that 5lbs was too much, but it wasn't too much for those little ladies in front of me.  So, you better believe that I toughed it out.  I may not be able to even grasp a pencil tomorrow, but I toughed it out.

I found myself checking the clock to see how much longer this would go on, how much longer would I have to pretend that I was young and in shape.  I couldn't keep the ruse up much longer.  I wanted to punch Roxanne.  She was making it look so easy, hardly even sweating, and having fun!

So folks, when I am in bed all day tomorrow because I can't walk, just remember that Jazzercize is no joke.  It's a hard work out, a fun work out, but it's hard!  I want to give mad props to all of the wonderful women in my life who swear by it and I want to apologize for my preconceived notions.

I will go back, just as soon as I can walk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com